Re: Newbie configuration - sending email (SMTP)

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 02:24:40PM -0400, David Fishburn wrote:

> Does anyone have a simple sendmail.cf file (or perhaps what simple
> changes are required to the default one) to configure it to send email?

There is a setting in muttrc where you give the command that sends
mail. The default is to send via the "sendmail" command.  This command
could call the Sendmail program, but it could also call Postfix or
other MTA programs designed to emulate sendmail.

Basically, your question has to start with which MTA you have and/or
would like to use.  I personally recommend Postfix if you would like
to have a more complicated setup.  If you just want to "relay" to a
smart host at your ISP, then you could try a little program called
sSMTP, which serves only to pushes mail to the relay.  The config file
for that one is only a handful of lines long.

Also, sendmail.cf isn't necessarily the way to configure sendmail.
Check out http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html.

Good luck.

Bryan

--