F(ine) mail software (was: gpg error)

Hello Bryan, welcome here.

 On Thursday, October 9, 2003 at 2:40:20 PM -0400, Bryan Bibb wrote:

> It makes my school's email system (First Class, mercifully with pop3
> access) bearable.

    Oh no, not again! I was hoping so much FC was dead disapeared and
trapped in the hell of Fine software 10 years ago... I mean: We all
should not care about quality of a software we don't use, but it should
have been strongly *forbidden* to connect this one to the Internet.

    The Internet NNTP and SMTP gateways are catastrophous, a major
disatser. Mail corruption, mail loops, misdirections (especially for
mailing lists), reinjection of old messages with new msgids, network
breakdown, automated massive mailbombing of outside innocent people,
and... Nasty no-brain authors insulting those who protest!

    I personally was victim of some First Class BBS years ago. The sysop
was gone fishing or so over a weekend, his FC up and running went to end
of disc space. And its stupid NNTP gateway began feeding some newgroups
and each and every poster out there with a mail to inform its disc was
full. As its disc was full, the error mails triggered the error again.
And because the msgid are overwritten each time, and there is no or
broken antiloop protection... We had to call the provider to make them
cut the line, after tens of thousends mails.

    At the time I heard various stories like mine, showing it was really
too easy to create very broad problems with very minor configuration
mistakes. Some newsmasters or list admins were even blacklisting any
detected First Class _before_ problems.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Everything about locales on Sven Mascheck's excelent site at new
location <URL:http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/locale/>. The little tester