Re: wrap long lines?

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:16:04AM -0400, Lou Losee wrote:

> Since you are using vi you want to set 'textwidth'  It will break the
> line at the first white space following the width you set.  For example
> issue:
> :tw 70
>
> As an alternative, you could use 'wrapmargin', but I find it less
> usable.  It is set to the number of characters from the *RIGHT* margin
> to cause a line break to occur.  Also note that wrapmargin is ignored if
> textwidth is set to anything other than 0 (zero).

As another alternative, you can pipe the completed message through fmt, or
use !!fmt to format individual lines into paragraphs.  The main advantage
is that fmt formats stuff in a far more attractive way, and if you use
the latter method you don't have to deal with annoyances when VI tries
wrapping code or configuration statements you insert inline (like that
crap from Bill that doesn't really Look Out for its users very well).

<shot type="cheap">
If you're interested in other neat VI tricks, feel free to zap me
privately.  (There are a number of kitchen sinkers here who don't
classify VI tips (except :q! of course - how many here still remember
that thread?) as productive Mutt-related discussion.)
</shot>

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel