Re: pb compatibilité mutt/client mua windows (pgp)

Theo Vermeulen wrote:
> Thierry uses 1.4.1_4 on a FreeBSD 5.1 platform and gnupg 1.2.3_1
> when he sends a mail unencrypted, there's no problem. but when he
> sends an encrypted mail to a windows-style MUA (eg outlook), the
> receiver doesn't get the body, but just two attachements.  a .fic and
> a .asc .
>
> his question is wether his mutt is badly configured or perhaps there's
> an other problem.
>

> ( I have the same question, other version of mutt (1.5.4) )

This is because MS Lookout! doesn't understand or honor internet standards
(MIME in general and PGP/MIME in particular).  Several things can be done:

    1) bug your friends and associates to switch to a better MUA (outlook
    sucks for so many reasons it's hard to begin counting

    2) set $pgp_create_traditional when you send mail to anyone using an MUA
    that doesn't properly render PGP/MIME (and tell them to bug the vendor
    of their MUA to fix that and support standards)

For a 1.5.4 user, setting $p_c_t is all you need to get outlook to show the
message inline.  For 1.4.1 you'll need to apply a patch to get mutt to send
$p_c_t messages using a Content-Type of text/plain instead of
application/pgp.  I used some patches from Dale Woolridge with 1.4.1,
available here:

    http://www.woolridge.ca/mutt/

The pgp-menu-traditional patch is quite nice since it updates the PGP menu
to show you what format you are signing or encrypting in (PGP/MIME or
Inline), but all you really need to get the text/plain content-type is the
pgp-traditional patch.

See the archives for many more discussions on this.  It comes up rather
frequently.

HTH,

--
Todd              OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
Despite the high cost of living, it remains a popular item.