Re: "New mail to selected sender" macro?

John --

...and then John Buttery said...
%
% create a new message addressed to the From: address of the currently
% selected message.  I realize I can sort of approximate this behaviour

What, aliases aren't good enough for you? ;-)

% now, by creating a reply and then removing the threading headers, but
% I'd rather just have a macro to do the same thing the "m" key does now,
% just with the To: field pre-populated.  Any ideas?

Rather than try to muck about with it in mutt, let your editor remove the
header for you.  That is,

  set edit_hdrs
  macro generic ,e "set editor='vim +/^$'" "General editing"
  macro generic ,m "set editor='vim -c /^In-Reply-To/d -c /^References/d +/^$ ;
exec <reply>" "Non-reply replying"

or similar (COMPLETELY untested).

HTH & HAND

:-D