Re: index_format %B / Mail-Followup-To

Hello Thomas,

 On Saturday, September 6, 2003 at 11:38:35 PM +0200, Thomas Rössler wrote:

> On 2003-09-06 19:24:17 +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
>> the BTS (Broad Trampoline for Spam).
> I'm expecting that we'll have a spamassassin-protected, and cleaned up
> version of the BTS some time next week.

    Great news :-). And much thanks, Thomas! But be carefull: This bug
reports cleaning-out process might lose valuable spam.

>>> How can I see the Mail-Followup-To header mutt is going to put into
>>> a mail I send out?
>> difficult, MFT having to be generated very last, after each recipient
>> changes in editor or compose screen, and retain ability to be
>> overriden at any stage by a user supplied one. And survive
>> postponing/recalling and reediting.
> That's basically what happens now; you can set your own
> Mail-Followup-To header in the editor with edit-headers enabled; that
> overrides the header that mutt would generate.

    Yes, one can see the MFT when one provides it. But one can't see the
auto-generated MFT. I was explaining why, and perhaps a little too fast
that it would be difficult to change that by generating MFT earlier.

    I mean: Let's imagine it is auto-generated at the beginning, shown
in initial header in editor, and on a line in compose screen. It still
needs to be recalculated at each recipient change (counting
known/subscribed status changes, $alternates/$metoo changes, etc...).
OTOH if user provides MFT, it's content has to be fixed. What if user
doesn't provide, but modifies auto-generated one? Does this make it
fixed? The recalc/modified/fixed status has to survive postponing.

    Also, the auto-MFT shown in header in editor can't be recalculated
in real time (only when entering compose screen). So it can be false:
Bad idea. Perhaps should auto-MFT be shown only in compose. Fixed-MFT
can still be provided and shown in editor. But then user can't modify
easely an auto-MFT to make it fixed in editor.

    Auto-MFT would have to be recalculated each time one enters compose
screen, and at each <edit-{from,reply-to,to,cc,bcc}>. There could be a
new compose <edit-mft> function, containing by default actual auto-MFT,
so user can modify it and make it fixed. Entering a void string makes it
back auto, or completely removes MFT?

    BTW auto-MFT using sender's address would have to use the
"Reply-To:" address if there is one, otherwise the "From:". There's bug
report #1488 about that (now taking only "From:").

    </random-ideas>

Bye!    Alain.
--
Mutt 1.2.5 users: Do us all a favour, set in_reply_to="%i" in muttrc, so
threading is not messed up by silly mail servers.