Archiving mbox messages - any good utilities?

I know this is slightly off topic as it's not *directly* related to
mutt but maybe people here can point me in the right direction.

I read my mail on a user account on an ISP's linux box using mutt, I
have a reasonable but not unlimited quota there.  I would like to
backup my mail on my home machine where I have lots of 'free' disk
space.

My ideal backup would be a directory structure the same as I maintain
on the ISP's Linux machine but with all mail that I have ever saved in
mailbxes.  If this (sort of) mirrors my 'live' mail then I can delete
old mail from the live mail mailboxes secure in the knowledge that the
originals are on my home mcahine backup.

The difficulty is (using mbox format) that the backup/archive program
needs some means of appending just new mails from my 'live' mail machine
to the corresponding 'archive' file on my home machine.  Leaving aside
the fact that this is remote (there are lots of ways of copying files
remotely) can anyone suggest any way to update the archive from the live
mail machine?  It's sort of like rsync except that it only adds newer
messages to a given file and never deletes old ones from the 'other
end'.

Archmbox would allow me to 'delete to archive' but that isn't quite
what I want, I'd like to be able to regularly update the archive with
my latest stored mails.

I can easily enough have a less ideal situation where I simply make
a copy of the whole live mail machine's mail messages at regular
intervals and keep them on my home machine.  That's feasible from the
space usage point of view but it's nowhere near as elegant or
convenient.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)