mutt showing false positives on new mails

Hi,
I use,
Mutt 1.4i (2002-05-29), Mdk 9.1, mbox format
I have in my .muttrc
mailboxes +inbox +qmail +dns +plug +mutt +shell +misc

Yesterday I faced a strange problem. A new mail came in misc and plug
and inbox. Even when I read my mail and did "c" to go to other mailbox,
it was still showing me previous mbox which I already read. And the last
message in these mailboxes were marked as unread always.
I tried deleting the last mail, but then the mail before it was shown as
new. It got solved automatically when I got new mails in those boxes and
I read them. Still I am curious to know why it happened. I have now
converted almost all boxes to Maildir format and just kept misc in mbox
for to run any tests.

Thanks in advance and bye.
With warm regards,
-Payal