mutt newbie: rxvt, cygwin mutt, black screen of death

Hi

I just decided to try using mutt under cygwin. So I fired up mutt, and all i
get is a black screen. Figuring that something was wrong with the colour
settings, i pressed q  in the hope that got me out (it did) and set up
colours in my .muttrc file, and all was well. However, is it REALLY sensible
to have default colours all set to be black on black? Or am i missing
something very elementary here? (I must be...)

Cheers,
Jonathan