[IP] more on New Website: John Gilmore vs. 'Papers, Please'

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: Patrick W Gilmore <patrick@xxxxxxxxx>
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Patrick W Gilmore <patrick@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:05:50 -0400
Subj: Re: [IP] more on New Website: John Gilmore vs. 'Papers, Please'

On Aug 16, 2004, at 3:50 PM, David Farber wrote:

> One more time, people--you do NOT have a right to travel on an airplane
> without identifying yourself.  There is NO SUCH RIGHT.  The airlines
> are
> perfectly free to set reasonable requirements for its passengers.  For
> instance, if you're disabled or obese, you can't sit in the emergency
> exit
> row, for fear of trapping people on the plane during an accident.  You
> don't
> like it, stay on the ground.

I believe if you read the site, the complaint centers around the
government's restriction, not the airline's.  Also, there are serious
questions around the idea of a 'secret' law - changing weekly,
inconsistent between airlines and/or locations, and transmitted orally
no less.

Besides, Mr. Gilmore (NB: no relation that I know of) does not seem to
object to being screened for weapons just like any other passenger.
And his point about essentially not being able to travel at all
(planes, trains, ships, and buses!) without "showing papers" does
strike a cord with me.

Whether or not  you think everyone should show ID to get on an
airplane, or whether you agree in general with Mr. Gilmore, I think
anyone born and raised in "the Land of the Free" should have at least
some of the same questions Mr. Gilmore does.

--
TTFN,
patrick