[IP] Hard time? Not for cyber criminals

___

Dave Farber  +1 412 726 9889

...... Forwarded Message .......
From: "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ip <ip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:15:40 -0700
Subj: Re: [IP] Hard time? Not for cyber criminals

David> ...Morris released the first Internet worm--and was eventually
David> sentenced to three years' probation, 400 hours of community service
David> and a $10,000 fine.

And my own case, where 15 minutes of conscious activity to run the
'crack' tool against a password file from within the same organization
where I was contracted, never having used (nor intended to use) the
passwords for nefarious purposes, for which I was sentenced:

        5 years probation
        480 hours of community service
        US$67,000 in restitution
        3 felonies (felon for life, no chance of expungement)

and ended up spending over US$250,000 in legal fees.

Details at <http://www.lightlink.com/fors/>.

<merlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl
training!