[IP] more on Gilmore vs DOJ

Well said djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tom Van Vleck <thvv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 17, 2004 11:17:13 AM EDT
To: dave@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Gilmore vs DOJ

Mike Rain wrote:

Requiring identification from people who seek to buy a gun or drive a car seems like a reasonable precaution. If asking airline passengers for identification will help prevent mass tragedies, even a little bit, then it is such a trivial sacrifice that I can't believe people are filing lawsuits about it. Am I missing something?

Maybe I'm missing something.  The hijackers had ID.
Can checking ID prevent mass tragedy?

Requiring ID prevents those without it from flying, e.g.
- undocumented persons who have no forged ID
- careless people who lost their ID

Matching the ID to the ticket deters
- theft of tickets
- resale or trading of tickets

If there were a database of bad guys' names, then
they could also look up the ID in this database and
deny flight to
- people with the same name as a bad guy
- people with a name similar to a bad guy
- people with a name similar to a bad guy's alias
etc.  Plenty of RISKS postings point out that false
matches are a problem.

There is (currently) no database listing future criminals.

[I am not advocating anything.. when I fly I show my
license, so what.  I submit to several other "security
theater" procedures, and I don't smile, and I don't joke,
and I don't look too closely at how the security works,
and I don't carry unapproved literature, or wear unusual
clothing, or political buttons not supporting the party
in power.  Maybe this is just superstition.]