Re: multipart/alternative question

On Thursday, July 16 at 10:51 PM, quoth lee:
>On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:16:57PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
>
>> But anyway, I don't consider this message to have ANY "attachments".
>> The person didn't send me any extra files to look at. They sent me the
>> same message twice, one with extra formatting and one without. I don't
>> think most people would consider that to be a message with
>> "attachments", so I don't think mutt should say that there is an
>> attachment.
>
>Well, I would consider such a message as attachment only: No message
>(i. e. no body), only three attachments.

Logically, an "attachment" needs something to be attached TO.

In snail mail, a letter is not an attachment, and when you staple
something to a letter (such as a photograph), the photograph is
considered the attachment, the letter is the thing to which the
photograph is attached. They do not both become attachments of each
other.

The MIME equivalent of what I just described is this:

     I   1 <no description>      [multipart/mixed]
     I   2 |-><no description>   [text/plain]
     A   3 `-><no description>   [image/jpeg]

Entity #3 is the attachment. It is attached to Entity #2. Entity #1 is
the staple: it exists only for the purpose of attaching #3 to #2.

I understand, having read enough philosophy, that you can argue ad
infinitum about the "truth" that the letter is just as much the
attachment to the photograph as the photograph is an attachment to the
letter, but that's a really pointless argument.

~Kyle
- --
Scientists have shown that the moon is moving away at a tiny, although
measurable distance from earth every year. If you do the math, you can
calculate that 65 million years ago, the moon was orbiting at a
distance of about 35 feet from the earth's surface. This would explain
the death of the dinosaurs ... the tallest ones, anyway.
                                                             -- Unknown