storing tagged state?

Hi,

is it possible to store which messages are currently tagged, to do
something and then to restore the previous tags?

Application: I made a macro to mark all new messages as read:

macro index .c "<untag-pattern>~A<enter><tag-pattern>~N<enter> \
  <tag-prefix><clear-flag>N<untag-pattern>~A<enter>" \
  "Mark all read"

To do this cleanly, the macro would have to store which messages are
tagged, do its work, and then it would have to restore the tags to
what they were before running the macro.

Not that I really need it in this case; I'm only wondering if there's
a clean way to do it.