Re: Threads and &

Hi,

* Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> I've had a similar problem before, only not with unrelated messages
> but rather with messages that don't contain certain headers (e.g.
> Message-ID). I think the reason is because mutt uses Message-ID to
> link threads---if a message doesn't HAVE an ID, mutt simply fails to
> link the messages, rather than attempt to give the message a
> Message-ID header.

> There might be good reasons for this, but I don't know what they are.
> I think it's probably more complicated to add a header to both
> messages than it is to modify an existing header in a single message,
> but I don't know the details.

Hmm, I think the reason is rather that nobody thought of this case. A
problem with assigning it a locally generated Message-ID is that it's
locally generated, i.e. nobody else that. If this is, for example, a
mailing list message, and you assign a new one, you'll break everybody
else's References because they don't know you generated an ID for it.

Anyway, shouldn't the first MTA in the mail path that sees a message
without an ID assign one? I'm just curious because such a message
shouldn't make it to anyway.

Rocco