Re: Threads and &

On Thursday, June 18 at 05:13 PM, quoth Marianne:
>>> I tag a mail with "t" and attach it to a thread with "&". After
>>> that i quit mutt saving changes. I open my mail box with mutt
>>> again but my thread is not saved. How to save this ?
>>
>> I noticed that it only happen when I attach mails that are not supposed
>> to be in the thread. In fact I make groupe of discussions.

I've had a similar problem before, only not with unrelated messages
but rather with messages that don't contain certain headers (e.g.
Message-ID). I think the reason is because mutt uses Message-ID to
link threads---if a message doesn't HAVE an ID, mutt simply fails to
link the messages, rather than attempt to give the message a
Message-ID header.

There might be good reasons for this, but I don't know what they are.
I think it's probably more complicated to add a header to both
messages than it is to modify an existing header in a single message,
but I don't know the details.

> Are you doing this on a Gmail IMAP folder?
>
> I had issues using mutt to link threads in Gmail as well, as described
> here:
>
> http://does-not-exist.org/mail-archives/mutt-users/msg17790.html
>
> I received no replies about this, and for all I know the problem still
> exists, but I've stayed away from linking threads in Gmail folders
> ever since, so I don't know.

My guess here is that it's either related to the problem I mentioned
above OR it's related to the fact that Gmail doesn't implement IMAP
correctly.

That's right, I said it. Gmail's IMAP implementation is *awful*, and
broken in lots of important ways. Some of these are at least somewhat
understandable, because Gmail is attempting to change the way email
storage works while still supporting a "good enough" version of IMAP.
But "good enough" isn't always "good enough" to allow everything mutt
wants to do. For example, Gmail doesn't like "deleting" messages (even
though they claim to technically allow it, as of somewhat recently).
Unfortunately, many of the more creative and powerful tricks mutt can
perform with messages (e.g. connecting threads) rely on being able to
modify messages on the IMAP server---which (because IMAP provides no
method for modifying a message directly (for very good reasons))
involves copying messages and DELETING the old ones. It is no surprise
to me that this can be a problem, given how loathe Gmail is to grant
users the power of deletion.

Of course, some of the Gmail IMAP bugs are just flat out wrong and
Google should be embarrassed about them (see all the various encoding
bugs).

I recommend that if you have a problem using mutt with Gmail, try
doing the same thing with some other IMAP client (ANY other IMAP
client). If it doesn't work there either, chances are it's a Gmail
problem, not a mutt problem!

And putting a filter, like offlineimap, between mutt and gmail means
it's even harder for mutt to perform creative message modification
correctly, because mutt cannot detect when something doesn't work and
thus cannot attempt a second way of doing it. When you run into
trouble while using something like offlineimap, my first suggestion
would be: try doing it without offlineimap. If it works, then you have
isolated the problem: it's an offlineimap problem. If it still doesn't
work, then you have eliminated a potential cause, and you've made
progress toward figuring out what the real problem is.

~Kyle
- --
Hanging on to resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free
in your head.
                                                         -- Ann Landers