Re: <edit> gives "cannot write to temporary folder"

Rocco Rutte <pdmef@xxxxxxx> 18-Jun-09 13:17:
> * Marianne wrote:
> > When I try to use the <edit> command on a message mutt tells me:
> > "could not create temporary folder: No such file or directory"
>
> > Writing new messages works just fine.
>
> > In my muttrc, I have:
> > set tmpdir="/home/mpromber/.mutt/tmp"
> > [...]
>
> > My "~/.mutt" dir is in fact a symlink to a dir inside a dir that I encrypt
> > and decrypt using ENCFS:
> > [...]
>
> When editing messages, mutt tries to create an empty mbox file in
> $tmpdir. At the moment I have no real idea why this would fail if it
> otherwise can create tempfiles (i.e. permission problems can be excluded
> here). Maybe the symlink is the trouble, I don't know. Can you try with
> a $tmpdir that is not a symlink?

Yes, sorry, I should have thought of that.

set tmpdir="/home/mpromber/tmp"

And mutt edits away happily. So I assume it's something with
encfs. I've since posted to encfs-users and will report here in case I
hear anything intresting.

In the meantime, this tmpdir is just fine for me, at least for
editing, which I usually only use to create X-Label headers, so if I'm
really paranoid I'll keep the encrypted tmpdir and switch back and
forth with a macro.

Thanks!

Marianne