Re: <edit> gives "cannot write to temporary folder"

Hi,

* Marianne wrote:

> When I try to use the <edit> command on a message mutt tells me:
> "could not create temporary folder: No such file or directory"

> Writing new messages works just fine.

> In my muttrc, I have:
> set tmpdir="/home/mpromber/.mutt/tmp"

> Mutt does put the files for messages I'm currently writing there, with
> filenames like "mutt-lauren-1000-22804-0". Fine. When I try to edit a
> message (hitting "e" in the index) and get the above error, mutt also
> creates a file with a name like this in that folder, but they all have
> size "0", like this:

> -rw------- 1 mpromber mpromber   0 2009-06-16 13:10 mutt-lauren-1000-22110-0

> Possibly related:

> My "~/.mutt" dir is in fact a symlink to a dir inside a dir that I encrypt
> and decrypt using ENCFS:

> lauren:~$ l .mutt
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 mpromber mpromber 26 2009-06-16 12:40 .mutt ->
> /home/mpromber/stuff/.mutt

> (But that folder is decrypted when I run into the problem, and the
> problem arises at the same time when I can write new messages, which
> writes to the same folder).

> In muttrc: set editor="emacs -nw"

> Does anyone have an idea what would be causing this? Is mutt trying to
> create a different temporary folder, and if so, where? If it is, why
> is it putting these empty files into $HOME/.mutt/tmp/ ?

When editing messages, mutt tries to create an empty mbox file in
$tmpdir. At the moment I have no real idea why this would fail if it
otherwise can create tempfiles (i.e. permission problems can be excluded
here). Maybe the symlink is the trouble, I don't know. Can you try with
a $tmpdir that is not a symlink?

Rocco