Re: 'mailboxes' command misbehaving?

Replying to myself here. I believe I have found the cause of the problem AND
fixed it. We shall see.

After finding out about the 'noatime' flag on the partition, googling 'mutt
noatime' immediately gave
results that were much more relevant to my problem. For example, from the Mutt
wiki:

http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Folder

Do a search on that page for 'noatime' and you'll find the solution right
there! I had to rebuild mutt
with --enable-buffy-size so that it looks at file sizes instead of atimes. It
says it might give suboptimal
results, so we'll see how well it goes.

At the moment it seems to be working quite well; those erroneous messages about
new mail are completely gone.

Many thanks for your help on this, Steve. I've learned how to install CentOS
SRPMS, modify the .spec file
and rebuild it as a result :-) So I'm happy.