'mailboxes' command misbehaving?

Hi I'm pretty new to mutt and I've got the following simple setup:

        Mail is received over the internet by Exim and delivered to user's home
directory using
        Procmail. Procmail sorts mails into different folders using simple
rules like TO_, etc.

The above works perfectly, however when I try to use the mailboxes command as
follows:

mailboxes "=personal"
mailboxes "=Inbox"
mailboxes `for file in ~/mail/lists/*; do echo -n "=lists/$(basename $file) ";
done`

mutt keeps telling me I have new mail in a mailbox when I definitely DO NOT. I
know I don't because this
happens right after I come out of the mailbox and am looking at my folder list,
most of them have an "N"
next to them, but *none* of them have any new mail in them!

Can anyone shed any light on this? The box is receiving very little mail at the
moment, so it's not like
procmail is touching the mbox files all the time and mutt is getting confused
somehow.

This is on a CentOS machine, if that helps.

Thanks,
Khusro