Re: pop-last=yes isn't working?

Hi,

* Russell Urquhart wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:46:39PM +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:

> > It doesn't even support body cache, which could be helpful here since
> > messages are numbered by UIDL there. It's not implemented because fewer
> > users than the critical mass seem to miss this feature and want to see
> > <fetch-mail> work... :)

> As i was telling Kyle, off list, the default Apple Mail client, as well
> as other mail clients i have tried, handle this.

Yes, probably because they have caches. They view the mailbox and leave
the mail on the server if one configures them to. In mutt, when you open
a POP mailbox, it does the same thing: leave mail on the server (except
you delete it), fetch messages just once (with header and/or body
caching) etc. It even should support distinction between unread and new
messages which other clients don't support, with an updateable hcache it
can easily support flagging and other message status flags.

When hitting 'G' to fetch mail from a POP server, this something totally
different and not the same as viewing a mailbox as in other clients.

> I just thought with all
> the functionality that mutt does provide, this would be a no brainer.

I doubt many people use the <fetch-mail> function to download POP mail
using mutt since there're some specialized mail download tools. Why not
use of them?

Remembering which messages are really new is basically easy to solve
except one thing: mutt already supports two very different types of
optional caches. I don't know whether it makes sense to add yet another
one just to cache UIDLs for <fetch-mail> that is rarely used.

Rocco