Re: Mailing list "from" format

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:24:21PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Friday, April 10 at 01:10 PM, quoth J. Limon:
> > Also, is it just me or does this list not have a proper reply-to ?
> > When I hit reply it tried to reply directly to you.
>
> I never noticed. I think there's an argument to be had about reply-to
> mangling by mailing lists, but I avoid the problem entirely: I use
> mutt's <list-reply> function to reply to all mailing list messages (by
> default, this is bound to the L key, I think).
>
> And before you protest "that's annoying! What if I forget?", let me
> stop you right there. Why forget? MUTT TO THE RESCUE! I figure I
> almost *always* want to list-reply when I'm replying to a mailing-list
> message, right? So, I rebind the 'r' key with... you guessed it:
> HOOKS! (Have I mentioned that I *love* hooks?)
>
> The easiest way to do this is with a message-hook:
>
>      message-hook .  'bind pager l list-reply; bind pager r reply'
>      message-hook ~l 'bind pager r list-reply; bind pager l reply
>
> Eh? Eh? Cool, no? (the ~l matches all mailing-list messages) Of
> course, that doesn't help in the INDEX, and it's impossible to change
> the key bindings based on the message that's *SELECTED*, so I match
> based on the folder I'm in (which is virtually always what I want to
> do):
>
>      folder-hook . \
>          'bind index l list-reply; bind index r reply'
>      folder-hook "Subscribed" \
>          'bind index r list-reply; bind index l reply'
>
> Make sense?
>
> ~Kyle
> --
> Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on
> what to have for dinner.
>                                                         -- James Bovard

That actually makes perfect sense. That way I could easily reply to the person
OR the list depending on the situation. I'll just have to train myself to
remember L instead of r for lists, but that shouldn't be too hard given that
lists starts with L, hurr.

Also, mutt's new smtp support is great. Just wanted to throw that out there.

--
"If a problem can be solved there is no use worrying about it. If it can't be
solved, worrying will do no good."