Re: mboxes and maildirs in .muttrc

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 06:17:14PM -0600, Derek Martin wrote:
> [...]  Another
> notable difference is in new mail notification and mailbox switching.
> Mutt's maildir implementation is better at remembering that you have
> new mail than its mbox implementation is...  The mbox implementation
> "forgets" that you have unread mail in an mbox folder once you have
> visited a folder and left it, whereas maildir remembers.

Hmm, since I've switched to Maildirs, mutt doesn't inform me anymore
when new messages arrive. Before, it beeped on every new mail.
Second thing: it shows only the 'N'-Flag in the folder-browser, if I
hit a key like <tab>... Do I have to change something for this after
my change to Maildirs?

Another thing to mention: On local Maildirs, mutt doesn't show how many
new mails there are in every Mailfolder. If I connect to the imap-server
directly, mutt does this. So, is it more likely to access the server
directly through mutt, or is there anything to change in muttrc for this
feature?

I'm now running offlineimap to update my Maildirs - but if the things
above don't work locally, I think it'd be a better way to read mails
remotely?

Regards,
sigi.