Re: mboxes and maildirs in .muttrc

On 2009-01-31_0244.36, sigi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to mix local mboxes (processed by fetchmail) and local
> mirrored maildirs through offlineimap in one muttrc, in a way that they
> both show up in the folder-menu of mutt?
>
> I tried to do this, but it seems I'd have to decide between fetchmailed
> mboxes or maildirs with offlineimap.
>
> Any hints?

Yes, it is possible, but the results can be confusing. I discovered I
was mixing by accident. Mutt will read an mbox file and a maildir
directory indifferently, if both are present in ~/Mail or in ~/Maildir
or in whatever directory you have specified in muttrc. When reading,
it recognizes the format that is actually there in each individual
mailbox and treats it according.

When creating a new mailbox it will create the type that you have told
it to use in muttrc. It doesn't get confused, but you very likely
will.  Consider this a hint as to what you should do.

There is a program mb2md that converts mbox format to maildir format.
I have found it difficult to use, but I have made it work. mb2md might
work very nicely if you give it a clean, well maintained mbox format
email directory, but it sounds like that is not what you have, so I
recommend using bash and core-utils to clean up the mess somehow. I
have been doing that myself for the past couple of weeks.

Procmail uses both mbox and maildir, and knows which to use by the
address you give it - if the address ends in a slash (/) it uses
maildir, otherwise it uses mbox. This might also be the case for mutt,
but I haven't tested.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon