Re: Happy New Year!

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 02:07:35PM EST, Ed Blackman wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 12:07:40AM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> >Firing up an xterm (or creating a new gnu/screen window) .. firing up
> >another instance of mutt ..  drilling down to the particular message I
> >need ..  having gnu/screen do a screen split .. bringing up the other
> >instance of mutt in said split window ..  and what..?  repeat the
> >process if I happen to need to refer to a second message?
>
> That's laborious if you do it manually, but computers are good at grunt
> work, and mutt is good at giving you hooks to automate things.
>
> This doesn't do split screens, because I don't like them, but here's my
> solution.
>
> macro index <Esc>s "<sync-mailbox>!screen -X screen mutt -f =sent\n"
> macro index F '<sync-mailbox><enter-command>set my_folder=`mutt-prompt
> "Change to folder" \\`; push "!screen -X screen mutt -f
> $my_folder\<enter\>"<enter>'

After reading Kyle Wheeler's take on split screen & thinking .. well, he
sounds like he knows what he's talking about and so I'm stuck with
firing up additional instances of mutt .. so I might as well do it in a
way that's less painful .. and I kinda a came up with a similar idea.
Since the implementation is usually where I run into problems, all my
thanks for providing samples.

> I've got a couple more of the first variety to speed access to mailboxes
> I open all the time, and the second variety is so that I don't have to
> have a key for each box.  It uses the mutt-prompt shell script, which
> has been posted recently, but I'll be happy to send it to you.

I would definitely like to take a look and see how it fits in with my
mutting habits.

> I don't do this often, but you could use the ^ special variable (which
> holds the current folder name) if you commonly accessed the same folder.
> Untested attempt:
>    macro index <Esc>c "<sync-mailbox>!screen -X screen mutt -f ^\n"

Just tried it but though it does create a new screen window and launches
mutt within .. the window immediately terminates and I'm back at
original mutt window with a "Press any key to continue..." message.