Re: Using mutt as a bulk mailer

Quoth Sander Smeenk <ssm+mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Quoting Sebastian Tennant (sebyte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):
>
>> First of all, if there's another *nix mailer that's easily scriptable
>> and better suited than mutt for this purpose, I'd love to know about it.
>
> I'd not use mutt for this. Mutt is a MUA, not a bulkmailer. ;-)

Yes, but it's CLI makes it quite a versatile command line mailer, albeit
not a command line _bulk_ mailer.

> Using mailx' mail is probably easier. Also, from your message i gather
> that you do have (some?) Perl knowledge. Why not just feed your
> messages to /usr/bin/sendmail? There's tons of examples on the net and
> it gives you full control of headers and/or recipients too.

Thanks for the tip.

It seems an awful lot can be done by simply piping a message to sendmail
(in my case, exim) like so:

  cat <msg-file> | /usr/sbin/exim4 -bm -t

I thought it was much more of a dark art than that, hence my use of
mutt...  until now.

Sebastian