Using mutt as a bulk mailer

Hi Mutts,

I've searched the wiki and the mailing list archive but I can't find
anything about using mutt as a command-line bulk mailer.

First of all, if there's another *nix mailer that's easily scriptable
and better suited than mutt for this purpose, I'd love to know about it.

That said, I need to send to approximately one thousand addresses (from
the command line) and I'm thinking of writing a script that reads the
addresses from a flat file and calls mutt to Bcc them in batches of
fifty or so. (Batch size determined by the maximum command length
permitted by the OS).

 /bin/echo -e <body> | \
   /usr/bin/mutt -n -F ./.muttrc \
   -s <subject>
   -b <address-1> \
   -b <address-2> \
   .
   .
   -b <adress-50> \
   -- ""

Am I completely mad to even consider doing it this way?

I need a quick scriptable solution and all the alternative bulk mailers
I've looked at are either full-featured mailing list managers or bulk
mailers with fancy GUIs and no command line interface.

Similarly, Perl's Email::Blaster, whilst obviously scriptable, is sheer
overkill.

Any help very much appreciated (especially mutt advice/suggestions).

Sebastian