Re: <shift><tab> bind doesn't work even though it's listed with ?

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:09:24PM +0000, Dave Wood wrote:
> I'm using <tab> to read next-undeleted which works fine, but when I set
> <shift><tab> to read previous-undeleted it says key not bound. I have it
> set for index and pager:
>
> bind        index       <tab>           next-undeleted
> bind        pager       <tab>           next-undeleted
> bind        index       <shift><tab>    previous-undeleted
> bind        pager       <shift><tab>    previous-undeleted
>
> Any ideas why this isn't working?

Try the following: open up a terminal, execute the command 'xev' and then
hit shift-tab. That'll show you how the keys are actually known to X.

in my case (slackware linux 12.1, X 7.1), hitting just the tab key yields
'Tab', but hitting shift-tab tells me that in combination with shift, the
tab key is suddenly known as ISO_Left_Tab.

In Emacs, I couldn't bind S-Tab unless I used ISO_Left_Tab as keysym.
(Well, actually, I needed to use 'iso_lefttab'. So much for
standardisation... ;-)

Perhaps if you try <shift><iso_lefttab> or variations thereof in .muttrc
you may be able to bind shift-tab.

--
Joost Kremers, PhD
University of Frankfurt