Re: Configuring sendmail on Mac OS X (Leopard)?

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> On Friday, September  5 at 07:09 AM, quoth Peter Davis:
> > Thanks.  I looked here, and see messages like this:
> >
> > Sep  4 22:02:31 PFD-Studio-Mac postfix/smtp[88615]: C037B4D62348:
> > to=<pfd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, relay=none, delay=30,
> > delays=0.2/0.05/30/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to
> > mailwash17.pair.com[66.39.2.17]: Operation timed ou
> > t)
> >
> > But that doesn't tell me much.
>
> That tells you a lot, actually. It says that the connection to the
> remote mailserver could not be made. That could be for a lot of
> reasons, but the most likely is that your home ISP doesn't let
> ordinary folks like yourself send mail outside their network without
> funnelling it through their mail server (this is a common anti-spam
> technique). Try doing this:
>
>      telnet mailwash17.pair.com 25
>
> If that can't connect, then you have discovered the problem. If it
> does connect and you get the pair.com greeting, then the problem must
> be with postfix.

The server at Pair is relay.pair.com.  It authorizes SMTP for 90 minutes
after a POP3 or IMAP connection.  See:

http://www.pair.com/support/knowledge_base/e-mail/smtp_service_at_pair_networks.html

        JL

--
Jorge Luis <lists@xxxxxxxx>
In the workers' paradise, everyone will have their own dotted quad.