Re: Configuring sendmail on Mac OS X (Leopard)?

Cameron Simpson wrote:
On 04Sep2008 23:03, Sahil Tandon <sahil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Peter Davis <pfd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > I have two Macs, one at work and one at home, running OS X 10.5. I'm | > using nearly identical .muttrc files on both, using sendmail to send | > outgoing messages. On my work Mac, this all behaves just fine. On | > the home Mac, Mutt says "Message sent." but the message never arrives. | > Both are running Mutt 1.4.2.3i. | | How do you set the 'sendmail' variable in .muttrc?

set sendmail = "/usr/sbin/sendmail"|
| > Is there some way to trace the outgoing message to see where it's | > failing? Any tips on configuring sendmail on the Mac? I didn't have | > to do anything on the office Mac ... it just works. | | The binary is called sendmail, but that is just the Postfix to Sendmail | compatibility interface. On OS X, Postfix logs to /var/log/mail.log -- | parse that file for clues, assuming mutt is (via the sendmail command) | passing mails to Postfix.

Thanks.  I looked here, and see messages like this:

Sep 4 22:02:31 PFD-Studio-Mac postfix/smtp[88615]: C037B4D62348: to=<pfd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, relay=none, delay=30, delays=0.2/0.05/30/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to mailwash17.pair.com[66.39.2.17]: Operation timed ou
t)

But that doesn't tell me much.

And the "mailq" command should recite the queue of unsent messages, if
any.
Ah, this could be revealing.  I get:

postqueue: fatal: Queue report unavailable - mail system is down

I don't know how to troubleshoot or start the mailsystem, but that gives me something to Google.

Thanks!
-pd

--
--------