Re: Mail sends to all addresses except one

On Wednesday, May  7 at 10:04 PM, quoth Dirk Moolman:
>> I've had issues with external mail, and had to set the following to
>> resolve that issue:
>>
>> set envelope_from=yes
>> set hdrs=yes
>> my_hdr From: $REPLYTO

...okay.

>> Something in my Mutt configuration is stopping the mail from going
>> through. If I send mail from Solaris (non-Windows), it goes to this
>> mailbox.

If you have one instance of mutt that *does* work, and one instance of
mutt that *doesn't*, my first thought would be to compare the output
of `mutt -D` on the two machines.

> I did some more reading (from the Mutt manuall, and on Google), and
> also tried the variable
>
> set envelope_from_address=dirkm@xxxxxxxxxx
> and
> set use_envelope_from=dirkm@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> but in both cases I get the error:
>
> "unknown variable"

Those only exist in mutt 1.5.11 or more recent. Before that,
$use_envelope_from was just known as $envelope_from, and it used your
$from address as the envelope address.

What version of mutt are you using?

> Also I noticed that my sendmail does not support the -f option (is
> this why I get the error ?)

Really? ... it *should* support that. What sendmail are you using?

> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and legally
> privileged and is intended solely for the addressee and to others
> who have the authority to receive it. Access to this e-mail by
> anyone else is unauthorized and as such, any disclosure, copying,
> distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on it is
> unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
> the sender immediately.
>
> The views expressed in this e-mail are the views of the individual
> sender and should in no way be construed as the views of the
> Company.
>
> The Company is not liable to ensure that outgoing e-mails are virus-free.
>
> The Company is not liable, should information or data, for whatever
> reason, be corrupted or fail to reach its intended addressee.
>
> The Company is not liable for any loss or damage of whatsoever
> nature and howsoever arising resulting from the opening or the use
> of the information in this e-mail, including its attachments and
> links.
>
> The sender of this e-mail is subject to and bound by the terms and
> conditions of Company’s Electronic Communications Usage Policy.

Is this really necessary?

Your warning here is contradictory: it tells me that if I am not
authorized I cannot take any action based on the content of the email,
and yet the disclaimer is itself part of the content of the email, so
any action I take based on the disclaimer (such as notifying the
sender) would be violating the explicit instructions of the
disclaimer. Thus, legally, your disclaimer cannot be taken at
face-value; it is a logical impossibility.

For another thing, it's presuming to place upon me some sort of
contractual obligation, even though I haven't agreed to any contract.
It is widely recognized in most contract law that you cannot be bound
by a contract you did not agree to, so at best your disclaimer is
bossing me around with no basis for doing so. If I take your email and
give it to *ALL* the wrong people (whoever they are), neither you nor
your company can do anything about it.

Which reminds me, this mailing list is publicly archived in many
places, and as such is available to the general public. This would
appear to be a direct violation of your disclaimer, and as such, the
disclaimer is silly.

That, and it's absurdly long.

http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

~Kyle
- --
No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one.
                                                      -- Elbert Hubbard