Re: How to send a return receipt

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 08:55:07PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
 Just because you know when somebody has seen a mail 1st time, it
doesn't mean it will be processed faster thereafter.
This is not why return receipts exist.
They exist so that the receiver can say, "I know you saw my e-mail, I
have the return receipt."  It's about accountability... it's the same

Then you don’t want a delivery notfication, you want read-it notification. That is in my eyes a very big difference. A delivery notification will send you the information when the MTA has put the mail into the mbox of the recipient (no matter, if the recipient will sent your mail to /dev/null or read it).

reason the post office offers registered/certified mail.  Mail (both

This is a delivery notification. You don’t know, if the recipient has read the letter or through it away.

The MUA is the wrong place for a delivery notification. The notification will always be sent a certain time later (sometimes less, more often much later).

Mutt does not have return receipt support.  Let me emphasize that:

Yes, in my eyes this is good. Like always if certain features for surveillance or monitoring are available, people want to use it. So it is far better to not implement them.

And in business environments you will probably get in far more trouble with mutt besides missing the notification options. Mutt doesn’t support any groupware features like calendar.

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal@xxxxxx |