Re: Return does not work with sidebar patch

On 2007-10-09, Andreas Leppert <wudmx@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 02:36:30PM -0700, Gary Johnson wrote:
> > Since you didn't elaborate on what you mean by "return" except that
> > it is not the same as "enter", I assume that you mean an ASCII
> > carriage return, 0x0D.  That is the same character as Ctrl-J.
>
> Well, I did not know that Ctrl-J is the same character as "Return" /
> 0x0D, now it makes sense why mutt is behaving as I've described it.
>
> Are there other mappings which overrides standards keys? I mean Ctrl-J
> is overlapping with <Return>, are there others?

I'm sorry--I got distracted and didn't really answer this question
except by reference to "man ascii".

Here are the Ctrl equivalents of some common keys.

   Hex    Control
   Value  Character   Abbrev.   Name
   -----  ---------  --------  ----
   07     Ctrl-G     BEL       Bell
   08     Ctrl-H     BS        Backspace
   09     Ctrl-I     HT        Horizontal Tab
   0A     Ctrl-J     LF or NL  Line Feed or Newline
   0C     Ctrl-L     FF        Form Feed or Newpage
   0D     Ctrl-M     CR        Carriage Return
   1B     Ctrl-[     ESC       Escape

As I wrote previously, the control codes are not really overriding
the other keys--they are synonyms for the same character.  GUI
applications often have the ability to distinguish, say the Tab key
from the key combination Ctrl-I, but terminal applications don't
have this ability.  Terminal application see characters rather than
keys.

I hope that was a little clearer.

Regards,
Gary