Re: pgp_autosign=ask-no

On Tuesday, October  2 at 02:33 PM, quoth Joseph:
>I was trying to assign value "ask-no" to pgp_autosign= but it doesn't work.

You mean crypt_autosign (pgp_autosign is a deprecated synonym for
crypt_autosign)? Yup; the documentation says it's just a boolean, not
a quad-option.

>Do I need to create macro if I want to selectively sign/encrypt emails?

No. For one thing, you can specify whether you want to encrypt/sign
mails on the compose menu just before sending the message. (press 'p')
It doesn't explicitly ask you, but just two keystrokes ('ps') toggles
signing, so it's only an extra keystroke over an ask-no answer to
pgp_autosign.

If it's always the same people, you can also set up send-hooks. I use
the groups feature to do this, so my send-hooks are really simple:

     send-hook .        'unset crypt_autosign'
     send-hook '%C pgp' 'set   crypt_autosign'

Then all I need to do is tag my recipients, e.g.:

     alias foo -group pgp Foo B. Baz <foo.b.baz@xxxxxxxxxxx>

And then all my emails to foo are signed. You can even get fancier:

     send-hook .             'set crypt_autoencrypt=no'
     send-hook '!~G ^%C pgp' 'set crypt_autoencrypt=yes'

What that does is encrypts things when all the recipients are marked
as 'encryption-ready' in my aliases file.

>2.) What do you have folks in your .mailcap for gpg I can not seem to
>find good entry.

Nothing. Inline PGP signatures (or encrypted messages) are sent as
text/plain, so you'd have to get fancy in your mailcap, and PGP-MIME
isn't structured for easy mailcap use, because it uses two separate
MIME message components to form a single signed message block. This is
why pine has such trouble with it: it's only set up to work on single
MIME components at a time. What you want to do is have mutt handle it
for you.

>When a message arrives I want to verify signature and/or decrypt it.

set pgp_auto_decode in your muttrc, and it'll Just Work.

~Kyle
- --
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is
bacteria.
                                                      -- German proverb