Re: Two problems - sorting index +

On Sunday, September 30 at 10:34 PM, quoth Joseph:
>On 09/30/07 23:06, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 30 at 09:32 PM, quoth Joseph:
>> >I would like to solve two problems.
>> >
>> >1.) I have noticed on your mailing list when I hit the index I see:
>> >-----
>> >  2   F 09/22/07 23:06 To mutt-users@m (4.2K)
>> >  3  s  09/23/07 01:13 Kyle Wheeler    (2.2K)
>> >  4     09/23/07 02:40 Stefano Sabatin (3.0K)
>> >-----
>> >
>> >The mail #2 is from me: "To mutt-user@m" and all other emails I see have
>> >the names in them, which variable it is
>> >controlled by, is it by header or index display?
>>
>> index_format
>
>So I have to dissect that crypto :-)

Sorry; the answer to your question is that it's controlled by index
display, specifically, the variable $index_format. The default
$index_format is:

     %4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%?l?%4l&%4c?) %s
       ^  ^    ^  ^         ^    ^            ^- Subject
       |  |    |  |         |    `- size of message, in lines or bytes
       |  |    |  |         `- THIS IS THE ONE TO CHANGE
       |  |    `--+- The date and time of the message
       |  `- message status flags
       `- current message number

The one you want to change (%-15.15L, or more simply, %L) means,
according to the documentation:

     If an address in the To or CC header field matches an address
     defined by the users "subscribe" command, this displays "To
     <list-name>", otherwise the same as %F

%F means:

     author name, or recipient name if the message is from you

What it doesn't mention is that if it shows the recipient name, it
shows it in the form "To <recipient>".

In other words, you haven't specified in your muttrc that
mutt-users@xxxxxxxx is a list you're subscribed to, and so it's
falling back on %F for all of those messages. If you want it to ALWAYS
show the author of the message, replace "%-15.15L" with "%-15.15a" in
your $index_format, which is the address of the author of the message.

~Kyle
- --
If you are going through hell, keep going.
                                                   -- Winston Churchill