Mutt and and IMAP Folders (Namespaces / Prefixes)

Hi,

I intend to use mutt in the feature for reading/writing emails. However,
besides some defaults that seem strange to me, it is good. But I am
experiencing problems with IMAP.

Scenario:
Our companies imap server is a dovecot imap server, migrated from an earlier
courier imap. So this one has an INBOX. prefix before each folder. Thats
annoying, but it is.

So now the question is: How to setup mutt, so that working with this is
posssible efficient?

Configuration in .muttrc:
set imap_user = XXXXX
set imap_pass = XXXXX
set folder = imap://user@host/INBOX.
set spoolfile = imap://user@host/INBOX
set record = imap://user@host/INBOX.Sent
set postponed = imap://user@host/INBOX.Drafts

This configuration works so far, that I can change to folders via 'c'.
If i remove the point at the end of set folder I cannot see any folder except
INBOX. Not working are the shorthand to call e.g.
INBOX.Mailinglisten.mutt-users by =Mailinglisten.mutt-users.
I could really need this to work with my folder structure. So can somebody give
me a
hint on how to fix this? Is this fixable at all?
If possible I would like to avoid the use of an imap syncer.

Regards,
Patrick