Re: Weird UTF-8 problem

Hello Magnus,

 On Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 16:43:37 +0200, Magnus Cappelen Solvang wrote:

> If I press r for Reply on a mail with norwegian characters - half the
> times vim will show the correct characters, while they will be garbled
> the rest of the times. r for Reply, :q to quit without editing, and r
> for Reply again over and over will alternate on the displayed result.

    Just a guess: You use a random signature, sometimes containing
accented characters written in Latin-1. This perturbates Vim's charset
auto-sensing mechanism ($fileencodings), giving apparently good sig and
new text but garbled quotes (really good quotes but garbled sig and
typed text).

    If it's the problem, the complete solution needs two steps:

 -1) Generate signatures in current $charset. Perhaps appending
"iconv -f iso-8859-1 |" to the $signature pile.

 -2) Disable charset auto-sensing when $editor is called from Mutt.
Auto-sensing smartness just confuses things, hiding what may be wrong.
For Mutt, $editor must dumbly read and write in current locale's
charset, period.

Bye!    Alain.
--
A "Reply-To:" header field pointing to the same email address
as the "From:" is uselessly redundant: A loss of space.