Ghost keypress foils password

How do I explain this bug...

When I start Mutt there is a sort of ghost keypress.  Mutt sees a
certain keypress sequence (I ignore what the exact sequence is) just as
if I had pressed some keys, and processes it accordingly.

Which means, in my case:

- if the spool mailbox is an imaps:// folder and the ssl certificate is
  not stored, then as soon as Mutt starts it asks me whether to accept,
  save or reject it; Mutt immediately sees the ghost keypress, which is
  not one of the available options and it prints briefly "Key is not
  bound", after which I can work normally;

- if Mutt has the certificate stored, then the first action is to ask me
  for my imap password; the ghost keypresses become password characters
  (causing a bug that took me weeks to identify!) so I have to erase the
  existing characters in the buffer (with Ctrl-U) before typing my real
  password.

Does anybody have any clue on what could be causing this behaviour?
Any tricks to discover the ghost sequence?  Could it have something to
do with the fact that I'm using Cygwin?

By the way, someone should add to the documentation the fact that the
option to (a)lways accept a certificate only appears after you set the
certificate_file variable.  That's not exactly obvious.

Toby

Mutt 1.4.2.1i (2004-02-12)
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: CYGWIN_NT-5.1 1.5.22(0.156/4/2) (i686) [using ncurses 5.4]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-DEBUG
-HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  -DL_STANDALONE
+USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
+USE_POP  +USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  +USE_SSL  -USE_SASL
+HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
+HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_START_COLOR  +HAVE_TYPEAHEAD  +HAVE_BKGDSET
+HAVE_CURS_SET  +HAVE_META  +HAVE_RESIZETERM
+HAVE_PGP  +BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  -SUN_ATTACHMENT
+ENABLE_NLS  +LOCALES_HACK  -HAVE_WC_FUNCS  +HAVE_LANGINFO_CODESET
+HAVE_LANGINFO_YESEXPR
+HAVE_ICONV  -ICONV_NONTRANS  +HAVE_GETSID  -HAVE_GETADDRINFO
-ISPELL
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/spool/mail"
PKGDATADIR="/usr/share/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/etc"
EXECSHELL="/bin/sh"
-MIXMASTER
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-dev@xxxxxxxx>.
To report a bug, please use the flea(1) utility.