Re: Attachment reminders

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 30Nov2006 22:44, Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> | Is there a way to call the attach-file function automatically
> | instead of just printing a nag?
>
> Well, you can queue an attachment from _inside_ the editor.  If you
> have edit_headers=yes you can add a header. Adding an "Attach:"
> header with a file pathname will cause mutt to attach it when you
> save and exit the editor.

I did test this a little before I posted, but I didn't figure out how
to avoid having to type the entire filename to attach -- which was
painful for my lazy, tab-completion-addicted fingers. :)

You've shown me one good way to fix that, thank you very much.

> To make this convenient, I have ctrl-A in my editor (vi) mapped to:
>
> 1G}-:.r!exec </dev/tty 2>/dev/tty; readline 'Attach: '<CR>IAttach: <Esc>
>
> Those are real Enter and Escape codes, BTW. This prepares an Attach:
> header, calling readline to let you enter the filename with file
> completion.

Hmmm, I'm feeling dense.  I added a line to my .vimrc to test this
method and I always have some remnants of the exec command left on the
line as I enter the filename.  The prompt looks like this to start:

Attach: </dev/tty 2>/dev/tty; readline "Attach: "

If I type something and backspace, the extra command text disappears
and leaves only the intended "Attach: " portion.  I'm not sure what
part of your instructions I've mangled exactly.  The exact line I put
into my .vimrc is:

map! <F4> <ESC>1G}-:r!exec </dev/tty 2>/dev/tty; readline "Attach: "<CR>IAttach:

(I'm using Vim 7.0.)

> "readline"'s a little bash script I have:
>
>   http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/readline
>
> Anyway, that lets you do an attachment conveniently before leaving the
> editor.

Yes, very handy and likely all the more I'll need to avoid sending too
many emails with missing attachments.

> | Is there a way to check if I've already attached a file and skip
> | the nag and or attach-file call?
>
> grep for a "Content-Type: multipart/mixed"? Or is this not available
> post encryption?

It's not available in the file the editor writes out, even with
$edit_headers set.  I suppose that's one reason why using the
$sendmail variable is preferable to using $editor for this sort of
hack.  As $sendmail is of limited use when encrypting, I imagine the
cleanest all around way to solve this would be with a patch, something
like what's in the mail thread linked to in the wiki[1].  But I'm
certainly not frustrated very often by this sort of thing, so I don't
think I'll do any more than make the effort to add attachments
directly from within my $editor.

Thanks a lot for the ideas and examples!

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mutt-dev&m=110658853024645&w=2

If you don't drink, smoke, or drive a car, you're a tax evader.
    -- Rep. Thomas S. Foley, 1990