Format=Flowed

I've just noticed that messages generated by Mozilla, Apple Mail and a
few others that employ this format appear a bit odd when viewed in mutt.
Specifically, any spaces in the indent string are removed from the
display, so we see

>Someone said this
>and that.

instead of

> Someone said this
> and that.

which is what exists in the message.  A minor issue, perhaps, but less
than optimal when trying to slog through the typically poorly-formatted
messages found on most mailing lists.

My question is whether this is a bug, a feature, or whether I should go
ahead and remove the format=flowed parameter from the Content-Type
header for all such emails, and call it a day.

Thanks.

--
George