Re: mutt & /var/spool/clientmqueue

Darrin Chandler wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 10:12:23PM +0200, Michael Tatge wrote:
> > * On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 Mauro Sacchetto (mauro.sacchetto@xxxxxxxx) muttered:
> > > I configured mutt, fetchmail and sendmail
> > > on Slackware 11.0. If I send an e-mail while
> > > I'm connected, the delivery is immediate.
> > > If I'm not connected, Mutt requires more
> > > or less a minute to send the message at
> > > /var/spool/clientmqueue.
> >
> > What exactly do you mean by connected?
>
> For a guess I'd say connected to the internet.
>
> For a stab at an answer, since there's no connection there's no DNS, and
> the wait is due to waiting for DNS to timeout. IOW, this isn't mutt's
> fault, as the same thing would happen from the command line with plain
> old 'mail' or whatever.

I don't know the answer but I know the questions that I would ask.
What is your 'sendmail' variable set to?  See section 6.3.244 in the
manual.  The default is "/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi".  What is your
'sendmail_wait' variable set to?  See section 6.3.245 in the manual.
The default is "0".

Normally mutt would hand delivery off to sendmail for the actual
delivery operation.  If there is a delay then the delay is coming from
the sendmail implementation (sendmail could be implemented by
Sendmail, by Postfix, by Exim, or other MTA that provides the
/usr/sbin/sendmail interface) and so the delay would be indicating a
configuration problem there.

There are probably two things to fix.  One is that when your network
interface is offline you will need to reconfigure and restart your
nameserver.  I would definitely run a local caching nameserver in that
case because there are much more powerful configurations possible than
just rewriting /etc/resolv.conf.  If you are running Debian or Ubuntu
look at the resolvconf package for good functionality there.

The other thing to fix is that normally you can only send mail to
valid email addresses or a bounce is generated.  What is valid?  Well,
if you can't look up the destination address then that would appear to
not be valid.  But in your case you can't be that picky when offline.
You will have to be content with a bounce once the network interface
comes online and your mail transport agent can attempt delivery of the
messages in the mail queue.

Bob