Re: freebsd, mutt, unicode

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:36:27PM +0100, Michael Tatge wrote:
> > I have set up my LC_* variables correctly
>
> LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8 for example. LC_CTYPE is the only locale variable
> which matters in this case.

Strictly speaking, I believe that this is not correct.  IIRC your locale
variables must match, or else your locale will be invalid and strange
things can happen.  All variables must use the same locale, or be set
to a locale which is a subset of the others.  For example:

# I use red hat, so it's UTF-8, not utf8
LANG=ko_KR.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8

should work ok, but

LANG=ko_KR
LC_MESSAGES=en_US

produces some very strange and inconsistent results in different
applications.  Reason being that ko_KR uses the EUC-KR character set,
but en_US uses iso-8859-1 I believe, and the two character sets are
incompatible (each contains some characters that the other does not).
But, if all your locale variables have UTF-8 character sets, it should
be fine AFAIK.  Also, the following should work:

LANG=ko_KR
LC_MESSAGES=C

That's because the entire 7-bit ASCII character set is part of EUC-KR,
so there is no problem mapping the C locale to ko_KR.

-=-=-=-=-