Re: freebsd, mutt, unicode

On 1/17/06, Michael Tatge <Michael.Tatge@xxxxxx> wrote:
> * On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 mal content (artifact.one@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) muttered:
> > The headers on the email say:

> > This seems to be correct.
>
> Yes. Sending should always work even in a non-utf aware terminal etc.
> Does the message display correctly in a gui MUA?

I actually don't have a gui MUA installed but I have been able to view the
message correctly in a browser.

> > The message should read
> >
> > Где ресторан, нравиться?
>
> well whatever it says :)

"Where is the restaraunt, please?"

(the grammar is a bit innacurate, I think!)

> > it actually says:
>
> Displaying however is another story.
>
> > I have set up my LC_* variables correctly
>
> LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8 for example. LC_CTYPE is the only locale variable
> which matters in this case.

$ echo ${LC_CTYPE}
en_GB.UTF-8

(although mutt still seems to report my locale as 'C'. Could this
be the source of the problem?)

> > and have set charset="utf-8" in .muttrc
>
> Don't *set* charset, this can have bad side effects. Let mutt auto-detect it!
>
> Here's my utf-8 howto:
>   muttrc:
>   Actually mutt's defaults should work out of the box in a utf
>   environment.
>   Here are a few little tweaks that i changed.
> ---[SNIP]---
>   #you may want to add other locale charsets
>   #koi8-r for example
>   set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-8859-15:utf-8"
>
>   #my configs are in iso. This is only relevant when you have non
>   #ascii chars in the config
>   set config_charset=iso-8859-15
>
>   #DO NOT set charset!
>   reset charset
>
> The important parts are the terminal, font and locales.
> uxterm is a nice xterm wrapper which does mostly everything right. At
> least for the terminal and locale part. You need to make sure it uses a
> utf font:

Yes, I definitely have this font as it's included with the newer versions of
Xorg. xfontsel shows it happily. As I said, vim seems to show UTF-8 quite
happily so I don't think it's a terminal issue.

Thanks for the help so far, I'm going to keep playing about with settings
for a bit.