Re: gmail over pop3

Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri <at> gmail.com> writes:

> * Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin <at> gmail.com> [06-13-05 13:22]:
> > I've been trying to access my gmail account with mutt over pop3
> > recently, and it always fails with some UIDL (?) error....
> > Has anyone been able to get this too work?
>
> .muttrc
> mailboxes 'pops://<user.name>:<passwd> <at> pop.gmail.com'
> account-hook pops://<user.name> <at> gmail.com 'set pop_user=<username> \
> pop_pass=<passwd>'
>
> note:  if account-hook has passwd, it is not needed at mailboxes

This looks promising, but I still get the following uidl error, after popping
gmail and accepting the cert:

"Command UIDL is not recognized by server."

[That error is preceded by the message: "68BSSL connection using TLSv1/SSLv3
(DES-CBC3-SHA)"]

I've tried different POP settings on the gmail side ... and always the same
error.

Here's my relevant .muttrc, per your spec. Actually, for testing purposes, this
is my entire .muttrc.

mailboxes 'pops://USER:PASSWORD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
account-hook pops://USER@xxxxxxxxx 'set pop_user=USER pop_pass=PASSWORD'

Quick sidebar question: for the account-hook, do we want "@gmail.com", as you
specified, or "@pop.gmail.com". I tried both. Neither works.

I try popping in with

# mutt -f pops://USER@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

(I compiled mutt with POP and ssl)

Should I be using a different command?

Any ideas how to circumvent the UIDL error or another muttrc configuration that
is *known* to work with gmail?

Many advanced thanks,
kurT