Re: gmail over pop3

On Saturday, July  9 at 08:00 PM, quoth kurt:
Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri <at> gmail.com> writes:

* Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin <at> gmail.com> [06-13-05 13:22]:
> I've been trying to access my gmail account with mutt over pop3
> recently, and it always fails with some UIDL (?) error....
> Has anyone been able to get this too work?

.muttrc
mailboxes 'pops://<user.name>:<passwd> <at> pop.gmail.com'
account-hook pops://<user.name> <at> gmail.com 'set pop_user=<username> \
pop_pass=<passwd>'

note:  if account-hook has passwd, it is not needed at mailboxes

This looks promising, but I still get the following uidl error, after popping to gmail and accepting the cert:

"Command UIDL is not recognized by server."

Hmm... UIDL is a required part of the POP3 standard.

It looks like Gmail has problems conforming to the POP3 standard (e.g. http://www.gmailforums.com/index.php?s=b45d5825c899d8242127a76d9d53e98f&showtopic=8066&pid=89834&st=0&#entry89834)

Try doing it with telnet (they have examples in that forum), and see what happens. If Gmail does not support UIDL, then they don't truly support POP3, and you should complain to them about it (read: it's not mutt's problem).

Now, interestingly, supposedly Gmail supports the UIDL command... so, I'd say, try it with telnet (i.e. "telnet pop3.gmail.com 110") and see what happens (maybe post the results to the list).

A basic example of a POP3 connection is here: http://www.memoryhole.net/~kyle/index.php?section=reference&inc=pop3

~Kyle
--
Truth is not determined by a majority vote.
                                                   -- Pope Benedict XVI