Can't send mail: "Mailing to remote domains not supported"

[My apologies if this post appears twice: It is a re-post because my initial
one did not appear on the list.]

Dear all,

I've installed mutt on my laptop.  I can read emails via IMAP without
problem.

But I cannot send mail!  On any attempt, I get a return mail similar to the
one given below.  Note that I removed my email adresses.

The header of the initial mail is in no way special (at least to my eye).

Where should I start for fixing this problem?

Thank you, Uli

-   - 1/1: Mail Delivery System   Mail delivery failed: returning message to sen
der