How to write something in the bottom of the screen ?

Hi,

is there a way to have an echo-like command, allowing to write
something in the bottom line of the screen. (eg.: 'G' is mapped
in order to reactivate fetchmail ; I would like to have it
also write something like "Fetching has benn reactivated" at the bottom.
I know I can use a shell-escape for that, but it doesn't have
the same behaviour considering the "wait_key" point of view.

My wait_key is set to no ; when I press 'G', I don't have to
hit 'enter' (which is what I want) ; how can I have this sentence
written without having to press anything after that ?

Regards,

--
Thomas Baruchel