Re: CTRL-M everywhere

Eugene wrote:
> Some messages that I receive have both a text/plain and text/html parts.
> I've configured Mutt to preferrably display text/plain (of course).

Me too.

> This works for most messages without a hitch.  But with some
> messages, the text/plain part has CTRL-M characters ending every
> line.  There's no special encoding (e.g. no Base64, no Binhex).
> When I look at the raw body, the text/plain part has "=0D" ending
> every line.

That is the problem.  The "=0D" sequences you are seeing are part of
the quoted-printable encoding.  Therefore the message should have a
Content-Transfer-Encoding type of quoted-printable.  You can read
about this here:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quoted-printable

> Is there any way to filter out these carriage returns in Mutt or in
> some external 3rd party tool?  Thanks in advance.

I think you are going to need to dig a little more and understand
exactly why you have messages encoded with an quoted-printable
encoding but without the Content-Transfer-Encoding tag.  It looks like
someone's mailer is messed up.  Fixing it there would be best because
that would fix the problem for everyone.

But if you find that it is one specific source and you just can't fix
it then I would use procmail to filter the message before it came into
your mailbox.  But you should decide if modifying the messages
automatically is really the right thing for you to do.  Because later
you will forget you were doing that and wonder why things are getting
munged.

I have a family member who sends mail from a broken mailer.  I can't
change them so instead I filter and fix the messages.  I have examples
of how to do this in procmail that I would post if there were
interest.

Bob