Re: Can one copy folders as opposed to mailboxes?

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 03:46:51PM -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 06:32:13PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > Is there any way in mutt to copy or move folders which contain
> > mailboxes?  I know it's easy to do from the shell if you have local
> > mailboxes and folders but I want to move some IMAP folders about.
>
> One other solution (other than the mutt solutions mentioned on the list)
> would be to use the "mailutil" program which comes with Pine. It can
> rename, move, and copy IMAP folders (among many other things).

Except that it doesn't work.  Well, it nearly does, it's the best of a
bad bunch of IMAP mail copying utilities that I've tried out.  The UW
Imap 'mailutil' works apart from one thing, it can't cope with copying
from any IMAP server that allows both folders and mail in a folder to
one that doesn't.  It's not so much that it can't do it (the problem
is inherent in the differences between different IMAP implementations)
but that it has no workarounds or ways of ignoring the folders it
can't copy, it just fails and exits.

I have now got a perl utility that someone mailed to me that works
pretty well and is simple enough for me to fix and extend as required.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."