startup slowness

Mutt - as I have it configured, using maildir mailboxes - is very slow
to start up. It reads through the mailbox at about 200 messages/second
and then when it gets to the end it usually does it again. For
mailboxes with many messages this is very annoying. It seems like I
should be able to keep as many messages I want in a mailbox and still
have my MUA start in less than a second with proper indexing.

Is there some configuration option I'm forgetting to set, or should I
be using a format other than maildir?

Frederik

--
http://ofb.net/~frederik/